Monday, March 12, 2012

Our First Day!

Today was our first day at the build site.. Completely eye opening never before have a been in a place where people are so grateful for having the very minimum. When we first entered the community the family for whom we were building the house for had a huge sign reading "Welcome to our Community". So many thoughts were running through my mind, I realized just how lucky I was to have a safe, warm and comforting home to live. When we met the family and they told us about where they currently live, their children, how they got involved in Habitat, only out of all the things that they told us they were most proud to talk about the gratitude that they had toward us. I was so proud to know that i was making a difference in someone's life and know that it was truly changing more than just my life. I was so excited to get to work and to my surprise it was just a little harder than expecting, it was hotter the bricks were heavier and the language barrier was a little more difficult than i thought. But it became easier, the walls went up fast and together we all learned new words and sayings in different languages "cortar" is what to say when u need to cut the bricks in Spanish and "burk" is what you call someone who is silly in Freddie Jackson English. It was so much fun bonding with everyone even though the family watching was whispering in Spanish about how they need to teach the blondies how to work :D Water fights with Paulina Chapoy and working with Marce and Pau and completely messing up a wall and having to do it over again, meeting all the little kids that i want to put in my suitcase and bring them back with me ... so cute! Its only the first day I'm already having a blast ready for an early 7:00am morning wakeup !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment