Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Day 3 (Rory Butler)

What I have loved about this trip is the people that we've met so far. There is a definite language barrier, but that just makes it more fun. The man directing the construction, Cresencio, probably doesn't speak a word of English, however he has been extremely helpful. He could get easily frustrated with our attempts to cut bricks, (see below) but he doesn't. He'll come over and tap a few bricks, and then offer a thumbs up to show his approval. Of all the people on the site, he is definitely the most helpful. I also like the general attitude on the site. It's work in really hot sun, but the people that we work with still manage to make it loads of fun. Towards the end of the day today, I was spreading some cement on the wall when I heard giggling behind me. I just assumed that someone told a good joke in Spanish, so I kept on working. When I turned to get more cement, all of the workers were looking at me and my cement bucket was completely empty. With this discovery they all burst into laughter. I had to laugh a little too, it was cool to see them having fun. Things like this are what make the trip really fun. It could be just work, but it's a lot more than that. Today was one of the better days. We all know how to lay the bricks and work as a team, most of the time without spoken language. I'm even starting to learn a little Spanish. The sun is hot, the work is hard, but it is still a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment