Friday, March 27, 2015

Work Day 4 - Mya Daigle

So today was just one of many days of hard work and getting dirty. Last night it rained like crazy, and because of the air vents that literally connect room to room, and my room to outside, it was loud. (Personally, I'm not a huge fan of those vents, along with everyone else on this trip.) I'm one of few people that can fall asleep to the sound of rain, but I still got a lack of sleep because my roommate decided to sleep with me. Lara Cooper squirms a lot in her sleep. It's okay though because every morning we get delicious honduran coffee, and I don't like coffee. Breakfast at the hotel in the mornings is always amazing and everyone is so nice. My favourite thing to do is to wave at all the people on the side of the road, and since most of the people around here walk or ride bikes, they always stare at the nice bus cruising down the street. I take that opportunity to wave at literally everyone, and some have nicer reactions than others. Most of the time it's a friendly smile and wave back, and some others just stare because it's rare to see a small, white, blonde girl staring out the window at them. Other reactions can't be mentioned. 

The bus rides so far have been the most amazing parts of the trip for me. I have one specific seat that I sit in since Day 1 and I practically refuse to sit anywhere else. It doesn't matter if it's a 20 minute bus ride, or a 3 hour long bus ride, the views are absolutely incredible. I take pictures and send them to my mom, but it's not the same. Nothing could possibly capture what we see, and it seems so crazy to me that people who live here see those views everyday and think nothing of it. After our plane rides here, everyone was exhausted (with good reason). We then had a 3 &1/2 hour ride ahead of us. Naturally, over half the bus fell asleep, but my bus buddy (Lara) and I couldn't sleep. There was no way I could think about not seeing everything I saw. Ever since then, the bus has been my favourite place.

The work place was what I expected, without the trees. So far I've done everything at the job site, mostly due to my attention span being around 30 minutes. I've shovelled, pushed countless wheelbarrows, twisted metal, made bricks, packed dirt, used a pick axe, etc. Everything is pretty much the same level of difficulty, and the heat just adds to it. I really thought I wouldn't mind the heat because Vermont isn't seeing much sun right now, but being so close to the equator, it's intense heat. I've never has so many freckles as I do right now. Other than the heat, it's surprisingly fun. The masons and helpers of the sites are all so nice and enjoy watching the newcomers attempt to speak spanish. Our group always takes advantage of our only spanish speaker, Adolfo. Sometimes, little girls come on our work site, and when they ask how old we all are, they are shocked at our answers, one of them said I look 20, and if you know me, that's not the case.


I miss home, I think everyone misses that sense of comfort and not having to worry about walking outside alone, but I can't imagine not being here. I'm happy and sad to only have a few days left (I have a puppy at home waiting for me). 1 more work day then rest and relaxation, which is very much needed, I think the muscles in one arm have gotten bigger than the other. I don't think it's possible to forget the experiences I've had here.


No comments:

Post a Comment