Thursday, March 26, 2015

Work Day 4 - Genevieve Quirion

I think  today was the most physically challenging day so far. I woke up at 4am last night because it was pouring rain outside. At first I was so confused because I thought the water was flooding inside but then I realized it was just outside and although I tried to go back to sleep, I couldn't. So I stayed in bed and waited for the alarm to go off. Anyway, because of the impressive amount of rain that poured last night, it was so humid outside. At first it was not too bad because there were still clouds in the sky, but once the sun came out, it was sooo hot. So working was more of a challenge today, also because I've been working very hard in the past few days so it is getting tiring. Nonetheless, I am having such a great time. The atmosphere is always positive, and I get along with everybody here. It is surprising how much you get to know people in a different way when you are travelling with them, and I love every part of it. I got to talk a lot to Mr. Wells one afternoon because we were working together. It can be hard at school to be able to talk to a teacher for such a long time because we are all so busy, so I really enjoyed having some time to ask him questions and get to know him more, and it's always great to get some advice from him. I love everybody on this trip, but I think Rose and Kiefer are worth being mentioned because we've developed such a great chemistry and already made so many memories. They make me laugh all the time. 

The Hondurans are also great people to be around. They look at us in a very special way. I mean, they probably laugh at us on the worksite because we can look like fools compared to them, but they definitely enjoy our dancing around and the efforts we put into the work. And don't get me wrong, Ms.Hessian is actually a machine when it comes to physical work, but we're not all like her. 
I remember when we got off the plane we had to go through customs, the first Honduran I encountered was an officer. He was looking at my passport and all, and before I left he told me I had beautiful eyes. This was the perfect start to my trip because it made me feel good. It's crazy how such small actions that seem insignificant can actually make a big difference. Now, I have countless little actions like that that made the difference, and I feel so grateful for everything.

Oh and one more thing. The food is great !! Tonight, we went to a little cafe and had some awesome paninis. And during the supper, the power went out. No one freaked out or anything, it was just a special moment that we shared as we had candles lit and were simply enjoying the chance of being on such a great trip together. 

Life is great. 

Genevieve


No comments:

Post a Comment